Thursday, October 6, 2011

Not Your Momma's Mac and Cheese

After a lot of perusing recipes and seeing which ones I could play with ... I created my own...
there are no additional oils  added ....

Preheat oven or toaster oven to 350

The Ingredients are simple..

The concept simple... Make the Mac  mostly veggies,  keep the serving size to a half a cup...

 Recipe serves 8  ( REMEMBER 1/2 cup servings)

Fresh Baby Spinach not frozen  ( use whole Container )
1/2  cup Barella Plus Macaroni
1 Cup Whole Wheat Macaroni
1/2 red pepper chopped
Panko sesasoned bread crumbs or Italian bread crumbs
1/2 vidalia onion chopped
a sprinkle or 3 of  fresh ground black pepper
2 tsp fresh minced garlic
1 cup mix of Ramano cheese and 2% or Fat free Cheddar cheese
3Tablespoons  egg substitute
1/3 cup plus 3 level Tablespoons of Fat free greek yogurt
a sprinkle or 2 of Kosher Salt

****you can throw in other veggies  if you want. or not.. ( I did not) . Asparagus, mushrooms work well..
Cook Macaroni per package directions.   DO NOT USE ANY OIL

Sautee in own juices  pepper,  garlic onion and spinach... DO NOT ADD ANYTHING but a grind or 3 of fresh black pepper and a sprinkle of Kosher Salt.. Sautee Spinach until it has cooked down and onions are nice and glossy.

In a bowl add sprinkle of cheeses, and greek yogurt .. mix,  then add  sauteed veggies  mix well sprinkle in a little more cheese.. mix well...   once mac is cooked  add to bowl fold everything in well...

Pour into   glass pan that has been sprayed with PAM or other Cooking Spray..

Sprinkle bread crumbs and  rest of cheese mixture on top..
I used my toaster oven.. which had been preheated to 350...
I baked it covered for 20 minutes and uncovered for 30 minutes...

 it is delightful.. everyone that has had a serving loved it...
glad that worked...

You can pair this with a Salad loaded with fresh Veggies ... and using a light balsamic vinegar   dressing..

*******I used my smallest cassarole glass pan... I think its like an 8x 8 ... not sure.. its small enough to fit in my toaster oven...

Okay I think thats it.. Enjoy....

No comments:

Post a Comment